Sunday, November 22, 2009

Pause

Biking has now replaced walking. I used to 'hoof it' those 3 1/2 blocks to pick up my pizza order but now I ride. Having a bike fully set up for the street is wonderful and oh so much fun. Inclement weather be damned! Fenders and water proof panniers enable you to do business as usual. I call it efficient rather than lazy. Its hardly a work out to pedal a few blocks, but you cover so much ground. The hassle of dealing with a cumbersome "U" lock and long cable is easily worth it, especially when compared to driving and seeking out parking places. I am pretty amazed than even with the "rainy season" upon us in Portland, you still have to search pretty damn hard to find a vacant spot to lock your bike.



Yet just like most activities, cycling is not without its risk. The other day while returning from a spin around the neighborhood, I encountered a nasty hail storm a few blocks from my home. How I envied those who ride with the baseball helmets. . .visibility zero. No place to take shelter. I foolishly pedaled on while looking down and nearly met my end with an oncoming van. This encounter gave me renewed pause and awareness of how quickly things can change.

For as many people that do cycle in this city, there are a surprisingly low amount of fatal accidents. Most riders I know have a crash story--and it usually involves a lapse of attention or being in a hurry. Usually a few scrapes and bruises teach valuable lessons (or a car's horn in my most recent case). Last year in Portland there were zero bike fatalities. This year, sadly, there have been several. Scattered around town are haunting memorials of the few who were killed. Each incident is different, some wearing helmets some not. Right of way disputes or drunk drivers, the memorials do not dwell on those details. It is always an immobile and ghostly white bike chained up as a sobering reminder. Flowers and personal tributes adorn the bikes.




I have experienced my fare share of scrapes, bruises and close encounters. One old bike helmet was cracked after a front tire blowout while bombing down a steep hill on a busy street. That encounter alone was enough for me to always ride with head protection. Passing memorials like these will hopefully provide solace to those who ride. Please ride safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment