Thursday, December 17, 2009

HARD WORK


Only after the wicked cold came the rain. I regret to inform that I have not been riding much as of late. A few short runs like the foot freezing trip downtown for some shopping and holiday revelry--but for the most part riding life has been static. The the reasons why I have not been riding so much have inspired me for this particular post.



I have been working hard on an old craftsman home here in Portland. My brother in law and I are currently doing the plumbing work. All of it. Digging a trench in a crawl space 2 feet high, cutting into a 4 inch, 90 year-old cast iron sewer pipe, re-routing the plumbing, accommodating new plumbing and retro fitting it to the old stuff, knocking down walls. . .it has been challenging, frustrating, highly educational, rewarding and fun.


Just about the time work really started getting intense on this project, I stumbled across a fantastic TED talk about the negative portrayal of hard work in this country and the "war on work" that the media wages (commercials about a shorter work week, early retirement, getting home a little earlier . . ). If anyone enjoys a project, working with your hands, having moments of discovery and insight in the middle of your project, be it building a bike wheel, gardening or creating something, you need to watch this lecture: ( l i n k )

No comments:

Post a Comment