Friday, December 11, 2009

Ode to Down

It has remained unseasonably (unreasonably) cold here in Portland. The mercury has dipped down to 12 degrees F for the third consecutive morning--a new record. It has not broken 30 degrees in over a week. I had the misfortune to be working outside all day only to find my cup of coffee had frozen solid.


I don't think I would have made it without the help of my trusty down vest. Oh the down vest, how I love you so! This weather has given me a whole new level of appreciation for the fluffy goose feathers. Winter riding also requires seriously warm gloves and a cozy scarf--can't stress those two items enough it seems. Compared to riders in other parts of the country, I feel like a wuss. Fellow blogger Maggie is WAY more dedicated and has to face much more adverse conditions in Colorado: ( l i n k ) Once you are up to speed on the bike, the wind makes your face feel like a bag of frozen peas. The loyal Portland bike commuters have not been fazed by these abnormal conditions. Check out the link to the dedicated masses who are braving the cold conditions: ( l i n k ).


It is strangely encouraging to see many people who are braving these conditions on a daily basis. It is this kind of devotion, endurance and willingness to get out there and ride that inspires others, rain or shine, warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment